Monday, March 3, 2008

Hey Man, Nice Shot #3


JACOB LUNOW

Last summer while visiting Chapel Hill, NC I attended a party and had the pleasure of seeing a lot of old friends I used to hang out with in Chapel Hill in the 90's. Many of these people I hadn't seen since the 90's. One friend in particular was a bit of a shock to see. 

My friend Jacob Lunow had suffered a stroke at the age of 31 which severely impaired his speech and movement. Seeing him for the first time since his stroke was a bit of a shock for me and made me realize how fragile life can be. We talked briefly and he told me he had taken up photography. We've kept in correspondence since then and shared ideas and our work with each other. He received a grant which he used to buy his first digital camera. Late last year, with his new camera, Jacob ventured on a 3 week road trip through the Appalachian Mountains of North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia, sleeping in his car and occasionally in a hotel room to upload photos and watch UNC basketball games. He has done an amazing job of capturing the beauty of nature and how, with time, it inflicts its force upon manmade things to reclaim them.
 
See Jacob's Appalachia photos here.
Visit his website here.

No comments: