Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Hey Man, Nice Shot #14




MARK LAITA

I occasionally worked with Mark Laita between 2003 and 2006. Every once in a while I was there when he was just returning from a trip to some new part of the country. He would show me 8x10 polaroids of portraits of people he was shooting in a personal project. His plan was to shoot in all 50 states. He told me stories of shooting inbreed hillbillies in West Virginia, Beverly Hills real estate agents. I even gave him suggestions when he was planning to visit the Carolinas. I never knew the theme of the project so when I finally saw the show in a gallery I was really impressed. Mark was a great product and still life photographer so I was a little surprised when I found out about this portrait project called "Created Equal". The images are beautiful and all the people are real. They aren't models and they aren't costumes. They are the real thing, shot where they live. Check out his work.



No comments: