Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Stub Stories #6

Last weekend I attended 2 great concerts, Beirut and Swervedriver.

BEIRUT 

This was the second time I saw Beirut. My first time seeing them last year amazed me. I am a sucker for a band with horns and I haven't seen a finer example of the use of horns in a band since I saw James Brown. Markus Rutledge and I went to the Wiltern to see Beirut for our second time. Markus noted how the last time he saw Beirut was just before he left for Cambodia. He recently returned and this concert marked the end of that chapter in his life. 

Beirut, headed by Zach Condon, was amazing again. Such a beautiful blend of European music all orchestrated by a 21 year old from New Mexico. During the show I had the thought that I hope at some point in his career that he does a very Herb Alpert style album, bringing instruments like trumpets back into commercial music which have been replaced by synthesizers and samples. I highly recommend that you listen to Beirut and see them whenever you get the chance. 



No comments: