Thursday, June 19, 2008

22 Years Ago Today

LEN BIAS DIES

I remember where I was when I first heard over the radio that Len Bias had died. I was riding with my dad in his Subaru turning onto Arendell St from 35th St in my hometown. I was completely shocked. The news still rings in my head as one of those moments in my life that you will always remember where you were when you heard.

Len Bias had just been drafted by the Boston Celtics after becoming a dominate force in the NCAA as a forward for the Maryland Terrapins. During his college career Bias was considered one of the most dynamic players in the nation. In fact, Bias was rated by some draft publications as the most complete forward ever to come out of college. Bias was compared by some with Michael Jordan, even though Jordan himself was only in his second professional season at the time Bias was drafted.

Bias returned to Maryland after the draft and celebrated at an off campus party. He took a dose of cocaine, which some say was his first time, and went into convulsions and died of a heart attack. 

Len Bias was drafted right after the Celtics won the NBA Championship which would be their last one for 22 years until they won it again earlier this week. He was to be the new generation as the Larry Bird era was winding down. Had Bias played a full career with the Celtics then maybe Boston wouldn't have had to wait so long for a Championship. 

One positive thing that came from his death is the message of the dangers of drugs. If cocaine can kill the mighty Len Bias then it can kill me. It is a philosophy I have followed since that day in the car with my dad.





No comments: