Thursday, May 22, 2008

Tree By The Lake

Monday I decided late in the day, 3:30pm, to drive 2 hours to the dry lakebed at El Mirage to shoot a Joshua tree. I had spent the weekend at home avoiding the record heat and making great progress on some personal projects. I had been thinking about going out there to shoot the tree at sunset and it seemed like a good way to get out of the apartment and the city as well. 

I got there around 6 after a quick side trip to Lake Los Angeles which turns out to be a small desert town, not a body of water. I found the tree which is at the entrance to the park and I had time to go out on the dry lakebed. For most of an hour I was the only car out there. It is a lot fun to drive around miles of open space with no speed limits or other traffic. Inspired by a past trip to the lakebed where Joe attached a video camera to his car, I decide to try the same and I just happen to have a clamp to do it. I made a video from the footage. See the video below.

A Porsche showed up so I headed to the tree to give him some room.  I shot the tree until dark. Here is a trio of images of the progression of the sunset. 



No comments: