Wednesday, March 26, 2008

An Old Friend

Today I visited an old friend I like to call "The Stoop". It may have an official name that I am not aware of but that is what I have always called it. It is a peak on a hill in Griffith Park that I would hike up to and just sit, rest, and enjoy the solitude of the spot in the middle of such a large urban area with millions of people around me. There is a nice breeze, low hiker traffic, and an amazing view. 

When I moved to Los Angeles I made this hike weekly. I didn't have a lot of work so I would hike in the park a lot and I would make it up to the stoop and think about life. It was kind of my reward for making it to the top. The trail to it was a little rough so it didn't get a lot of traffic. It was my escape from the city and it was only a couple miles from my apartment. 

Over the years I got busier with work, joined a gym, and honestly got a little burned out on the hike because I had done it so many times. On May 8, 2007 a wildfire broke out in Griffith Park burning over 800 acres including my stoop. Because of this that part of the park was closed for many months in an effort to let the hills restore themselves. 

I visited the Griffith Park Observatory this month and realized that the trails were open again. Well, some of them. I would hike from the tennis courts to my stoop but today i found that way was closed. So I hiked up from the Observatory and lucky I was able to make it to my old friend, "The Stoop". 

The Stoop (top point on the peak)

approaching The Stoop

on The Stoop

views from The Stoop (I used to hike up the ridge to The Stoop)


No comments: