Friday, February 8, 2008

Stub Stories #2


ATLANTA HAWKS vs BOSTON CELTICS

1985. I spent Thanksgiving at my aunt and uncle's in Greenville, SC. My uncle bought 4 tickets to the Hawks Celtics game in Atlanta so my uncle, my cousin, my dad, and I made the 3 hour drive to the ATL. The tickets turned out to be nosebleed but it was my first pro sporting event and I was happy to be there. Former NC State star Spud Webb was a rookie on the Hawks along with Dominique Wilkins and Tree Rollins. The Hawks were my team. They were playing the classic Boston Celtics team- Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, Dennis Johnson, Robert Parrish, Danny Ainge. To my surprise the Omni had plenty of empty seats that night and more people were cheering for the Celtics than the Hawks. I was truly disappointed with the people of Atlanta. Southerners cheering for a Northern team on their home court. That was disgraceful. The Celtics ended up winning the game but Spud Webb did get a dunk which made it all worthwhile for me. 

No comments: